Snake Encounter

















It was a quiet, hot day, almost mesmeric.

Cheryll and I were on holidays at Coolum.

















 We’d driven to Lake Cootharaba, hired a little motorboat and crossed the lake to the other side. There we walked along a narrow track leading to the coloured sands.




























 I was completely absorbed in the beautiful sunlit scenery as I followed Cheryll along the track.

 My thoughts began to drift while I enjoyed the shimmering hot countryside covered with a profusion of wildflowers – mauve, white and yellow.



Suddenly Cheryll leapt backwards and grabbed my hand, saying, ‘Nettie! Nettie! A snake!’

I looked down and sure enough, a huge, long brown snake opened its oh-so-wide jaw about six centimetres from my ankle and hissed. There was no doubt about its intentions.



My mind froze. Time stopped. Random, illogical ideas filled my thoughts. Cheryll must be scared. She’s holding my hand.

This seemed to last for ages. It must really have been about two seconds.

Somehow I snapped out of my shock.

‘Go away in the name of Jesus!’ I bellowed.

Perhaps it was the sheer volume. Or the vibrations from my yelling.

 I prefer to think it was the name of Jesus.

The snake turned and fled.

We continued our walk over to the coloured sands. I apologised to Cheryll, who had actually rescued me.

Needless to say, we prayed for God’s protection before returning down the long winding track to our boat.




Comments

  1. Beautiful memories of a beautiful day. And how wonderful that God who created such beauty was right there with us. We walk day by day in the company of the King. That is a very great privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it really was a beautiful day. Such a special place and the adventure of boating across. God was certainly with us, in the beauty of His creation and the actual 'spotting' of the snake. How great that it really did flee! Thanks for commenting online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done to tell it to go aware in Jesus name! Thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was just like a knee jerk reaction, Lesley. My brain wasn't doing too well. Presumably my spirit was still working. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great example of the power of Jesus' name. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was! Fortunately. Thanks for commenting on the blog, Nola.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We'll call him Jonah

June - Time to Celebrate

The Silver Lining: Is there any way we can keep it?