We'll call him Jonah



Last week I left us on holidays in New Zealand. This week we take a detour into my future, years later when I lived in Nambour, a delightful country town just north of Brisbane.


Something felt different about that day. I hurried onto the Nambour railway platform, wondering what was important about this particular journey to Brisbane.

I travelled down regularly to visit my mother with Alzheimer’s disease but this day I’d felt a clear whisper from God to pray for my train trip.

There were quite a few people waiting on the platform but there was space at the end of a seat with a youngish man seated at the other end, so I sat there.

“Do you have a pen I can borrow?” the man asked.

Do I ever go anywhere without a pen?

I handed him my biro and he proceeded to write some notes.

A whirring whine announced the arrival of the train. The man, who introduced himself – we’ll call him Joe, as I tend to think of him as Jonah – said, “Oh, I’m not finished with your pen. Can I give it back to you on the train?”

“Sure.”

So Joe and I sat opposite each other for the one hour and fifty minutes journey to Brisbane. He seemed to want to talk as he returned my biro, so I put my book in my bag and tried a harmless, “Do you live in Nambour?”

He suppressed a shudder. “No. I came from . . .” and he named a town just outside Brisbane.

“Actually,” he paused, “I was trying to get away.”

“From what?”

He sighed. “Everything. My job, my wife (she’s a Christian and I’m supposed to be one too). And I’m in a band and my nerves are shot from the noise.”

I gave a sympathetic murmur, while my mind whirled with  Do I tell him or leave him in peace? At last I felt obliged to add, “Um, actually I’m a Christian too.”

Seeming unfazed, he continued, “I got on a bus near home. I bought a ticket to Townsville. But I couldn’t handle sitting still in a small space. My nerves were killing me! So I got off the bus here in Nambour.”

Joe must have been in a bad way! The bus trip to Townsville would have taken about twenty-five hours. He abandoned it after two or three hours. Here, of all places. Trying to get away from a Christian family, he had me as a travel companion.

We glanced out the window as the train wound its way near the magnificent Glasshouse Mountains and through tracts of part-cleared rain forest.






Photo by Pixabay


“So where are you going now?” I asked.

He sighed. “I suppose I’ll have to go home. I just can’t handle sitting still for long enough to travel far.”

For the rest of the journey we discussed his predicament and I encouraged him to try to get on with being a Christian and a husband. We discussed some of his struggles. He seemed much happier by the time the train sighed into Roma Street station and I gathered my overnight bags and waved him goodbye.

I had to see the funny side.

And the ‘God side’.

I hope it all worked out for him.


Would you have told him you were a Christian or left him in peace?

Comments

  1. Yes! I would have told him that I was a Christian! People have the choice to walk away if that scares them. He told you freely that he was ‘supposed to be one to’. That definitely sounds like a God appointment to me as he chatted with you about his struggles. This sort of encounter has happened to me a few times. I used to wonder whether there was a sign on me saying, ‘feel free to dump your troubles here’ but I found I had a lot to give by just listening to anyone who needs to talk. I like to believe that those encounters never leave them and that people like ‘Joe’ will be impacted by something we’ve said or just that we were prepared to listen to them unload a bit. Bless you For your lovely heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting, Lesley. Yes, people tend to tell me things too. It can be exciting, God-wise.

      Delete
    2. Lately, I have been trying very much to be attentive to the promptings of God to “wait” or “turn” or “listen” etc. I don’t claim to get it right all the time but I want to be aware and ready. I am blessed that the result is often something, usually small, that tells me it is worth listening.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for commenting, Nick. Yes, I try to be sensitive to the Holy spirit too. Don't claim to get it right always either. But so important. We are the light of the world, after all.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure what I would have done Jeanette. Probably would have asked him what it meant to him and his wife 'being a Christian.' Praise the Lord that he had you as a companion!
    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting, Mimi. I think at that stage of my journey I was too 'traditional ' to ask that. But it all seemed to go well, to my amazement. Let's hope it all went well long term for him and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great encounter, Jeanette. Poor Joe, I think you did the right thing too. For all you knew, you were there for such a time as that, and you did it in a gentle, non-confrontational way. I guess you wonder what became of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I replied before but it got lost! A learning curve for me. Thanks so much for commenting, Paula. Yes, I do wonder and hope all is good for him now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Silver Lining: Is there any way we can keep it?

June - Time to Celebrate