God whispers to my mother






My mother had Alzheimer’s disease for many years. She degenerated from being an alert, intelligent woman to a forgetful woman (“Dear, I think I’ve locked the keys in the house”), then to a woman who was barely there. A fast-aging woman who lay upon a bed in a nursing home. She had all but disappeared.

For quite a long time after Mum stopped talking, she sang. Formerly a successful singer, she had a lovely soprano voice. Once-popular songs and hymns rang through the wards, blessing other oldies and the nurses. She worshipped God in her singing, arresting workers in their footsteps to listen. And pray.

She grew silent.

Eventually she was unable to speak or sing at all and simply lay there.

We’d visit her, bringing flowers and perfume, anything she used to love and would, we hoped, enjoy.

We’d walk along the flower-edged paths to the large building. Through the wide passageways, smelling dinner cooking already. All the familiar smells of a nursing home.

Friendly nurses would greet us.
“How’s Mum?” we’d ask.
“Oh, still the same. She’s at peace.” And we’d all smile sadly.

“Here, Mum,” Arlene held a bouquet of fragrant flowers under Mum’s nose. “Your favourite roses. And look, some freesias.”

Mum looked slightly happier as she smelled the flowers. Her lips moved a little but no sound came.

We’d sit by her bed and tell her any suitable news. News of her friends, of the family. We’d read to her.

She withdrew even further to a silent world.

There was no reaction to our bits of news.

One day we discovered, by reading her favourite psalm, Psalm 23, to her that despite her silence, she was responding.

“ 'The Lord is my Shepherd',” I read.
Mum’s eyelids flickered.
My sister read  more of the psalm.
“'He leads me in paths of righteousness . . .' ” I nudged Arlene. Tears were flowing quietly down Mum's aged face. She looked peaceful – and aware of God’s words to her.

After that day we read the Bible to her every visit. Usually tears flowed.

I believe her spirit responded when her mind was unable to produce words.

About twelve years ago, she left us, slipping through to her heavenly home.
I am sure she is whole and completely happy now.

Comments

  1. So beautiful Jeanette. What precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much and thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette you put me right there as you wrote....real and beautiful! Your Mum in the short time I knew her placed a footprint on my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margy. I appreciate your comment - and yes, we do have very happy memories of you there with her and me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turning Point

The Miracle Man

The Silver Lining: Is there any way we can keep it?