God whispers in a school in the jungle - Part 2

I drifted in and out of sleep all day, still feeling sick and light-headed.

In the afternoon the giggling of girls wafted in from the garden where they plucked snails from the hibiscus shrubs. The snails – intended as food for Japanese soldiers during the war – had reached plague proportions and provided one of the daily chores for the girls.

                           The hill at the back of the school. Ocean in the distance.
































Peter called from the doorway while he was on duty organising the girls. “Feeling any better, Jeanette?”
“A bit, thanks.”
“It’s nearly five o’clock,” he continued. “Are you ready for Miss Marchment to come over?”
So she had told him about dinner. She really was bringing FOOD. So kind of her but ... I still felt sick. How on earth would I get it down?

“Okay Peter, I’ll get ready now.”
I hauled myself out of bed and shivered under a freezing shower. Hot water would have been nice but we had none here. I still ached all over and felt woozy in my head.

What would I talk about to our awe-inspiring headmistress during a whole meal?
Was I well enough to sit up for that long?

On the dot of six o’clock, she knocked at the door and let herself in. I had tidied my hair and wore a simple cotton shift.
“It’s just cheesed cauliflower," Miss Marchment said as she placed a woven mat on the table and then a smallish oval casserole dish. "You should be able to get some of this down.” She served the savoury-smelling food onto two plates.
I looked at the little meal. Suddenly I felt hungry. In fact, ALL my symptoms disappeared.
My head was clear.
I felt fine.

I was too busy to notice how dramatic the change was, but after a while I realised God had lifted the sickness right off me and replaced it with His Presence. 

Miss Marchment (call me Isobel, dear) and I sat opposite each other and began to talk while enjoying the tasty meal. Before I knew how we’d got there, we were discussing personal spiritual experiences. Miss Marchment (well, Isobel) and I! Both of us. God must have had a purpose in this meal.

Our conversation was interesting. And Isobel was fascinated to hear about my own spiritual journey, parts of my testimony. 

Interestingly, she was keen to hear my viewpoint on her own experiences. As we talked, I became increasingly aware of that peaceful Presence upholding me, filling me with a sense of well-being.

I think we both enjoyed that evening. After we’d finished and Isobel had just gone home, my symptoms returned, although not as severe as they had been. It took another day in bed before I could get up and teach again.

What a kind and interesting person she was! To think I'd been nervous about the meal. I went back to bed and was soon asleep.

The evening was to bear lasting fruit in her life as well as mine, to  my delight. And she and I had become friendly. 

As I view this time in retrospect, I feel privileged to have known such a brave, innovative woman. A pioneer.
   



One of my books, Lantern Light, is set mainly at Madina High School, known as Barrington Place in the novel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silver Lining: Is there any way we can keep it?

We'll call him Jonah

June - Time to Celebrate