Happiness is

 

Not long after our New Zealand holiday, I was seeking a teaching job. These positions were hard to get at that time, especially as I’d returned to Australia when the teaching year had already begun.  So I was cleaning several elderly people’s houses for a living. I was staying with my sister, who was sick, her husband, her two-year-old daughter and the cat, all of whom needed looking after. As did the house.

This season provided me with

 

Many happy and funny memories.

Like the time I was vacuuming and I heard a loud wailing meow. I turned off the vac noise and looked. No cat.

 Meow!

 I opened the drawers in the cabinet beside me – and there was the cat tucked in like a doll, probably having a frantic struggle for air. My little niece had put her ‘baby’ cosily to bed.

 

While I was cleaning other people’s houses, I’d sing or pray or plan what to cook that night. That season birthed many interesting recipes, which I tried out on the family until they were declared successful. Exotic stews and curries, yummy desserts, the works.

 (I also put on weight, to my horror after my NZ holiday, where I’d discovered wonderful foods. Most of my friends could gorge on these foods and stay skinny, while I ate a few helpings and my jeans immediately became too tight.)

 

 Me in those days - photo by Patrick Starrenberg








 

 

 

 

Turning Point

 But I was getting sick of cleaning. I didn’t mind it for a season but surely that season was over by now …? Please, God…?

One day, while cleaning an old lady’s house, I noticed a poster on her wall. 

Happiness is not

Having what you want

It is

Wanting what you have.

Oh! I stopped in my mental tracks. I’d been staking my happiness on getting a teaching job. Did God want me to be happy doing this menial work? To accept it? I decided to change the way I’d been thinking and enjoy cleaning houses. And be happy. What did it matter, after all? I’d taught for several years already and enjoyed it. I had a home. A job. A family. Friends. 

Surrender

When I arrived back at my sister’s house, I went to my room and began to pray. Lord, I surrender the right to have a teaching job. I’ll be happy to clean houses all my life if that’s really what you want. I sensed that gentle presence of God as I prayed it.

Peace enveloped me.


The teaching job

About a quarter of an hour later, the phone rang. ‘It’s for you, Jeanette,’ my sister called.

An unfamiliar lady asked me, ‘Would you like to take a job that has become vacant at our school?’

 A teaching job.

Woohoo! Would I ever. I thanked her and began teaching again the following week.

Comments

  1. I love this. I don’t know how many times in my life the breakthrough has come after surrender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks so much for commenting on the blog, Sue. Yes, that's been my experience too.

      Delete
  2. What you shared is so true Jeanette, about surrendering our plans to God. He seems to enjoy surprising us with what we desire or something even better. That is a lovely photo of you. Patrick Starrenberg took our wedding photos and my favourite one of me was a very similar pose to yours. I often wonder what he is doing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, God seems to love us to be surrendered to the one who knows best. Your wedding photos must be lovely. Pat was a great photographer. The photos were his idea, not mine. He took some of Bethlynne too. I haven't seen or heard from him for many years. Thanks for commenting on the blog.

      Delete
  3. Again, an inspiring story Jeanette.❤ ....glad u found the 'cosy cat'😁
    Yes I love the way God responds to our surrender of ppl, things we love & then says 'Here I am'....and here's My plan!
    I also wonder where Patrick is...he certainly took beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cat (BamBam) had an adventurous life with Bek at the helm. I haven't heard of/from Pat for many years. Thanks for commenting on the blog! xo

      Delete
  4. Yes, it's a real key, isn't it, Jo-Anne. Well, for me, and you too, it is. Thanks for commenting on the blog. xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We'll call him Jonah

The Silver Lining: Is there any way we can keep it?

June - Time to Celebrate